Welcome! Lawrence County is a wonderful place to live and work, a
place with kind people and unlimited opportunities. Our communities
offer a beautiful panorama considered exceptional by the many people
come to live or visit with us. From the shores of the Tennessee River
to the Bankhead National Forest, we have unprecedented opportunities
and a unique identity.
Building on our heritage is the driving force in our communities.
Access to quality education, employment opportunities and health care
services are cornerstones of our commitment to the future.
For the outdoorsman, we offer everything from sailing and fishing
on the Tennessee River to rappelling, hunting or canoeing in the Bankhead
National Forest. Cultural activities are within an easy drive from
anywhere in the county. Whatever suits your style, Lawrence County
has it all.
In Lawrence County, our most important asset is our people. Calvin
Coolidge utilized a poem about persistence that has come to exemplify
our community's willingness to reach for higher and higher standards.
"Nothing can take the place of persistence. Persistence and determination
alone are omnipoint."
Our people are special and we want to offer an invitation for you
to meet them personally. On behalf of the leadership and staff of
the Lawrence County Chamber of Commerce: Welcome. Come see
again or stay with us a lifetime!
George T. Simms,
Executive Director Lawrence County Chamber of Commerce
14220 Court Street, P. 0. Box 325
Moulton, Alabama 35650
(256) 974-1658 (256) 974-4821 FAX
[back to top]
Lawrence County is older than the state of Alabama. Located in the
northwestern section of the State, Lawrence County is bounded on the
North by the Tennessee River that separates it from Lauderdale and
Limestone Counties and on the East by Morgan County. The county is
also bounded on the South by Winston County and the West by Franklin
and Colbert Counties. It was created by the Alabama Territorial Legislature
on February 4, 1818, from lands acquired by the Chickasaw and Cherokee
Cessions of 1816 and named in honor of Captain James Lawrence, Naval
hero of the War of 1812. Moulton was selected as the County seat in
1820; the County business prior to that date having been transacted
at Marathon. The county has a population of approximately 33,000.
The county includes 696 square miles within its borders. Lawrence
County was the home of General Phillip Rhoddy, Confederate Cavalry
commander General Joseph Wheeler, Governor David P. Lewis and J. M.
Peters, State Supreme Court Judge.
The city of Moulton was incorporated
December 17, 1819, and named for Lt. Michael Moulton who died fighting
under General Andrew Jackson at the Battle of Horseshoe Bend. The
town proper encompasses about eight square miles and has a population
of approximately 4,500. The people of Moulton have exemplified their
founders courageous spirit through the years to bring about
steady growth and development, build better schoolsand
churches, and produce dedicated, loyal citizens.
The character of a southern towns
heritage is captured in the historic district of Courtland, Alabama.
Just a short jaunt off a major highway, Courtland offers a trip through
the history of a nineteenth century town. Reflecting the towns
beginning as a local trade center rooted in the surrounding plantation
economy are more than 100 homes, buildings and sites dating from c.
1820 to c. 1938.
was named to the National Register of Historic Places for its 1818
development of the early town plan built with unusually large concentration
of significant buildings. Built on a site that was formerly an Indian
village on Big Nance Creek, Courtlands location was chosen by
planters from Virginia and the Carolinas who saw great potential in
the fertile cotton land combined with market access to New Orleans
by way of the Tennessee River.
Even in the initial design, the developers
of Courtland planned for their towns future and included a main
square for the county courthouse had Courtland become the county seat.
In September 14, 1818, Charles Matthews
bought 232 acres of land, which is the city of Town Creek today. Jonesboro,
Town Creeks first name, came from the name of a Lawrence County
man named William Jones. In 1854, when a post office was established,
the post office was called the Town Creek post office because there
was already a post office named Jonesboro in Jefferson County. In
March 1875, Town Creek was incorporated by the State of Alabama.
Courtland Presbyterian Church
Begun before the Civil War as the second building
for a congregation organized in 1821, this handsome church is significant
for its paneled front doors and fine brickwork.
Courtland Historic District
The Courtland Historic District has more than
100 buildings and sites on the National Register of Historic Places.
The town square, a public gathering place for 175, was the site from
which the famous "Red Rovers," a volunteer military
company, left on its ill-fated mission to help in the Texas War for
Built in 1823 for Virginia-born merchant John
Trotter, this house was owned from 1838 until 1987 by the family of
John McMahon, an early cotton broker with offices in Courtland and
New Orleans. One of the most notable Federal houses left in northern
Alabama, it is an excellent and very formal example of the "I"
house. It has Federal woodwork throughout, including molded chair
rails and Adam mantel pieces. The house has been fully restored and
is a Certified Historic Landmark. It is now a bed and breakfast inn.
Pine Torch Church
Located in the Bankhead National Forest. This
primitive log church was established in 1850.
General Joe Wheeler Plantation
This 2 1/2 -story frame house(circa 1884) was
the home of General Joe Wheeler, senior cavalry
general of the Confederacy who was later a congressman and Major General
in the Spanish-American War. The house features
the original furniture, family portraits and cases of
medals from Wheelers exploits.
This historic house was built in the early 1900s.
It now serves as a center for senior citizens
and community activities.
[back to top]
U. S. Highway 20 and Alternate 72 and State
Highways 24 and 36 are routed through the county east and west; State
highways 33, 101 and 157 are routed north and south.
County is served by four airports; Muscle Shoals Airport, Pryor Field
at Decatur, George C. Wallace Industrial Airpark at Courtland and
Huntsville International Airport.
major railroad, CSX Transportation, serves the valley.
Four motor freight carriers are located within
the county, and a number of carriers are located
in adjoining counties.
The county is served locally by Lawrence County
[back to top]