Enter name or type of business
Enter city & state, or ZIP
contentsTallassee AL Chamberads

Points of Interest

Submitted by the Tallassee Chamber of Commerce

Points of Interest

Antebellum Textile Mill Complex – The Tallassee mill, known as Barnett & Marks, was first chartered by the Alabama General Assembly on December 31, 1841, at the great falls of Tallassee. It began operating in 1844. Located on the west side of the Tallapoosa River, the 4.9-acre complex contains five buildings built of native blue granite and was powered by the water from the great falls of the Tallapoosa.

The five remaining buildings include:

• The 1844 Textile Mill & 1864 Confederate Armory – This structure, built by slave labor, served as Tallassee’s first textile mill from 1844-1852. In 1864-65, it became the Tallassee Confederate Armory, where it manufactured over 500 Tallassee muzzle-loading .58 caliber carbines. It is currently being renovated.

• 1852 Boiler Room – The boiler room building, which has been completely renovated, features blue granite.

• 1852 Duck Mill – This mill features four floors built of native blue granite and timbers; a fifth floor was added in 1878. During the Civil War, the mill became part of the supply system of the Confederacy. It manufactured cloth for Confederate uniforms and duck cloth for tents and cots.

• 1884 Office/Warehouse – This one-story building also features native blue granite.

• 1845 Patterson Log Cabin – Noted as the oldest house in Tallassee, this two-room dog trot log cabin was constructed of notched hand-hewn timbers. It was built by the son of Archibald Patterson (1786-1857), a pioneer family from North Carolina.

The Superintendent’s House – This historic 1897 two-story wood dwelling was built by mill workers to house the Mill Superintendent. The 113-year-old house has been renovated and decorated, and contains 17 rooms, three halls, four bathrooms and 14 closets. Many locally significant artifacts are housed here, including numerous J.E. Hot O’Brien memorabilia.

The Trophy Room – Billy McKenzie’s South African collection of over 25 species are beautifully and artistically presented. Several full mounts are featured, including a Rare Black Impala.


Seven Gables – Designed by George P. Turner, the 1939 Seven Gables is a grand residential example of architecture in Alabama between the World Wars. It was home to prominent Alabama entrepreneurs Roberts and Mildred Blount and Alabama Supreme Court Chief Justice Sonny Hornsby. The house is located on 9.61 acres with gigantic oak and magnolia trees. The two-story home covers more than 5,400 square feet and includes 16 rooms, ponderosa pine paneling, heart pine flooring, a cypress exterior, leaded glass, ornamental carvings and extensive rococo details throughout.

The Guest House – Built in 1941 by Tallassee Mill carpenters on a secluded point facing Lake Talisi at Graveyard Creek, this home was used for hosting guests from the Baltimore Mills. The craftsmanship is exceptional in the large gathering room and seven bedroom suites, each complete with their own bath. The circle stairways from the east and west foyers are carved from native pine and lead down to the kitchen, dining and service areas that look out over the native stone patio.

The Tallassee Library – Books are not the only interesting items available at the Tallassee Library. Paranormal activity is the second hottest item here. The library has hosted numerous paranormal research groups and has been featured on the Biography Channel’s show, “My Ghost Story.” Stories abound on the sights, sounds and activity of an unexplained nature.

The “Forever Wild” Wildlife Refuge – Coon Creek is home to a “Forever Wild” wildlife refuge. There are over 4 miles of walking trails around a large slough and a very quiet and secluded picnic area with great opportunities to view many types of wildlife.

previous topic
next topic
Town Square Publications