What's in a Name
Abe Gonzales Park: (First & "E" Streets) Abe Gonzales was a 35-year employee of the City of Brawley. As the Parks Supervisor he was committed to providing quality park services to all. It was his honesty, integrity and commitment to our parks that solidified the renaming of this park in his honor.
Alyce Gereaux Park: (Adler & Eastern Streets) Alyce Gereaux was Brawleys first female elementary school principal. It is fitting that this park, whose property was donated by the Brawley Soroptimist Club, be named after a woman, who as a member, contributed so much. Each year the Brawley Soroptimist Club aids the City in providing recreational programs and improving our parks.
Barbara Worth Junior High School: Harold Bell Wright wrote a fictional account about the settling of the Imperial Valley. The Winning of Barbara Worth has become a collectors book.
Beechey Field: Named after gentleman Ed Beechey, who dedicated a great deal of his time to youth and adult baseball. He was an organizer, coach and umpire who loved the game. Ed continued to volunteer and umpire in the 1980s at the age of 70.
Brawley Union High School: BUHS was organized on July 8, 1908. The first high school classes were held in the grammar school building located at "H" Street and Imperial Avenue.
Cattle Call Park: (Cattle Call Drive) In recognition of the annual Cattle Call Rodeo, created over forty years ago by Ed Rutherford, Dick Smith, Al Smith and Louise Wiley. It was their labor of love that developed the Citys largest and most utilized park.
Citrus View Park: (David & Kelly Streets) In the early 1990s a contest among elementary school students was held to name the smallest park in Brawley. The winner was a 4th grader named Camila Collado. She named the park after the citrus orchards that once covered the area.
Ed Wiest Baseball Field: In the 1970s Ed Wiest was the driving force behind preparing this field for the Babe Ruth World Series. Lights and bleacher seating for over 3,000 were installed. He is a wonderful example of the volunteer spirit that has long existed in our community.
Francisco Fonseca Field: Francisco Fonsecas love of baseball encouraged the naming of this ball field. Mr. Fonseca was a neighborhood boy with real talent who played ball for many years. As time went by, he became a team manager helping others to enjoy the sport in Hinajosa Park.
Guadalupe Park: (South 11th & Malan Streets) This park has been leased to the City for over twenty years from the Catholic Diocese of San Diego. It is named after the Virgin de Guadalupe.
Hinojosa Park: (9th & "H" Streets) Ysmael "Milo" Hinojosa in the 1950s was the first Latino elected to the Brawley City Council. At 29 he was an inspiration to his constituents and a promising community leader. Ysmael Hinojosas life ended at 29 in a tragic automobile accident. In the 1980s the park was renamed in recognition of his short but valuable contribution to the community.
Jeff Kissee Park: (First & "G" Streets) A former Public Works Director who put close to 40 years in with the City of Brawley. Part of his job included park maintenance. This park is located next to Public Works and was the residence for several of the Citys past public works directors.
Jeffery Thornton Park: In 1998, Jeff Thornton, a 14-year-old Brawley resident was separated from relatives while snowboarding in the mountains. Some how he miraculously survived several days of exposure, only to lose his fight for life a few days later. The park was named in recognition of his courageous fight to survive.
J.W. Oakley School: J.W. Oakley was an early pioneer who built up the Brawley Townsite Company. It was because of Oakleys spirit that we now have the town of Brawley.
Kelley Park: (Eighth & Main Streets) Howard E. Kelley served on the Brawley City Council from 1948 to 1952 and served as Mayor for 2 years. During that time he was involved in getting the train to make stops in Brawley, as it had done during the war. He was successful. Kelley Park is often called "Railroad Park" because it is located on Main Street behind the fire station along the railroad.
Lions Center & Lions Pool: Named in recognition of the Lions Club Membership who raised over $125,000 in the mid 1960s to assure that a community pool would be built. The Lions Club accomplished their goal and to this day continues to support Community Park Improvements.
Meserve Park: (Second & "K" Streets) Edwin A. Meserve was a respected and admired attorney from the Pomona area who in his lifetime practiced before the Supreme Court of the United States. Although he never lived in the Imperial Valley, he was a member of the Southern Pacific Board of Trustees who were involved in providing funding for flood control measures in 1905. Meserve Park was one of the first parks built in Brawley. At that time Mr. Meserve was involved as an attorney in several development and investment companies.
Miguel Hidalgo School: Father Miguel Hidalgo was a priest from a parish in the small town of Dolores Guanajuato. At Dolores, Father Miguel organized meetings and taught the farmers to work the land. Hidalgo led Mexico to its independence on September 21, 1821.
Myron D. Witter School: Myron D. Witter was editor of The Brawley News for 27 years. He was elected to the state legislature in 1928 and re-elected in 1930 as assemblyman.
Pat Williams Park: (West River Drive) In 1980 Pat Williams Park was opened, recognizing a City Council Member that had served his community for over 20 years. Pat Williams really liked Brawley and the feeling was mutual. His service deserved recognition and he was fortunately available to see it.
Palmer Auditorium: Percy E. Palmer was instrumental in the design and completion of the auditorium in 1950. Mr. Palmer was a very popular principal and superintendent of Brawley High School.
Pioneers Memorial Healthcare District: Formed by election in 1947, Pioneers Memorial Hospital District was the fulfillment of a dream for many Imperial Valley Pioneers.
Plaza Park: Recognized as the center of the community, Plaza Park houses City Hall, the Brawley Public Library and the Brawley Post Office.
Planters Hotel: In the early 1920s, a few serious young businessmen became concerned over the absence of hotel accommodations. The Planters Hotel was finished and opened to the public in February 1927.
Phil D. Swing School: Phil D. Swing School was named after a congressman who introduced the first bill providing for the authorization of the Boulder Canyon Project.
Ridge Park: (North Western & Park View) This mini-park shares its name with the subdivision that surrounds it.
Rotary Park: (Cattle Call Park) Named after the Brawley Rotary Club and their continued commitment to the park system. Each year, the club commits funds to the preservation and enhancement of this area. Work crews from the club plant trees and repair and replace tables every year. They have long viewed their relationship with the City as a partnership, helping each other to improve our parks.
Salvador "Chava" Torres Field: This soccer field inside of Guadalupe Park is named after Salvador Torres. He volunteered countless hours and was instrumental in raising the funds necessary for purchasing our communitys first soccer field lights.
Weist Lake: (Third & Magnolia Streets) G. E. Weist was a farmer and orchard grower. He helped organize the Valley Telephone Company and the First R.F.D. route out of Brawley.
Community Profile Network, Inc. &
Copyright ©2001 Community Profile Network, Inc.
This Site is a Cyberworks Media Group Production