Ahwahnee, like many
towns in the region, began when settlers arrived to find their gold nuggets.
Instead, they struck pay dirt in the fertile fields and began growing
fruits and vegetables to sell to the mining camps ringing the area.
When the railroad line to Raymond came through Ahwahnee, even President
Theodore Roosevelt stopped to lunch here on his way to marvel at Yosemite.
Newspaper stories reported every detail, including the fact the innkeeper
told him to wash his hands in a tin bucket out back before eating. She
may have been one of the first citizens to complain about an error in
the press – it was her best china basin, thank you!
Ahwahnee was also home to a tuberculosis sanatorium built at the turn
of the century in hopes those suffering from the disease would benefit
from the area’s purer air quality. Later, it flourished as a home
for boys. Now, plans are in the works to create Ahwahnee Hills Park at
the same location.
Today, Ahwahnee is a peaceful small community with a population of approximately
1,680 who strive to keep their rural atmosphere. It is home of The Wassama
Roundhouse built by Miwok Indians, one of a few authentic roundhouses
left in California.
You could call Bass
Lake Village a planned community: it sprang up in 1895, when state officials
created the Bass Lake Reservoir as part of Central California’s
first hydroelectric generating project.
Bass Lake, with a population of over 2,200, is now a natural retreat for
all types of water sports and fishing, thanks to the United States Forest
Service Recreation Area that surrounds the lake.
Entrepreneurs have rolled out the red carpet to visitors, with a smorgasbord
of dining and lodging options, including camping and day use areas.
Residents consider themselves the county hosts; they hold the region’s
only Fourth of July fireworks display and an annual fishing derby the
first weekend in May. And every Friday night in the summer, people flock
here to enjoy lakeside jazz concerts under the stars.
This unusual name
reflects the fact that a group of Texas miners discovered gold in the
nearby creek in the early 1850s.
They named their settlement Coarse Gold Gulch (they later renamed their
abode Texas Flat, but the name didn’t have staying power among Californians).
Coarsegold produced the first deep lode mine in the region, but time revealed
that wasn’t the area’s true wealth. Cattle, sheep and hogs
headed for Stockton became the treasure, as ranching became the way of
life in the latter half of the 19th century.
Coarsegold – with a population greater than 7,000 – is still
known for its large ranches. In fact, native ranchers still hold huge
cattle drives to the cooler high country every summer. Visitors can learn
more about Coarsegold’s colorful heritage from The Gold Gulch Museum
and Coarsegold Historical Society Museum. Also, Chukchansi Gold Resort
& Casino just celebrated their one year anniversary here. They have
192 rooms with breathtaking sunrise and sunset views of the valley and
several themed restaurants to choose from. And at Half Dome Theater, “Star”
performances can be enjoyed by everyone.
In 1881, Albert Philip
filed a timber claim called Fish Camp, an odd name for what became a busy
logging center and cattle range. Citizens knew how to have a good time
– by 1883, Fish Camp was the home of the then-famous Summerdale
Hotel, a general store, a saloon, a post office and a barn where dances
were held every day of the week.
Hospitality continues to run deep through this community of approximately
300 residents. Because it’s only two miles from the southern entrance
to Yosemite National Park, tourists stream through here, making this a
hub for everything outdoors, including hiking, fishing, skiing, snow boarding,
ice skating, and tobogganing.
The townsfolk operate two large hotels and several bed and breakfast facilities.
In the summer, Yosemite Mountain Sugar Pine Railroad offers daily rides
through the Sierra National Forest in vintage steam locomotives.
Nipinnawasee, an Indian
site whose name means “home of the deer,” began as a Michigan
transplant’s homestead stake as late as 1908. The U.S. government
established a post office here by 1912. Unfortunately, it was destroyed
in 1961 when a fire consumed the entire town in just 15 minutes.
Nipinnawasee proper, just north of Ahwahnee, was never rebuilt, although
people continue to live in the area for the breathtaking views of the
Sierras. Most residents drive into Oakhurst 15 minutes away.
North Fork owes its
accidental birth to Milton Brown, an ambitious businessman who saw Willow
Creek’s north fork as the perfect place to drop off sheep and cattle
on their journey to higher summer pastures. Roads and lumber mills followed
the traffic, giving North Fork a reputation in the milling industry until
the Natural Forest discontinued timber harvesting a few years ago.
Today, almost 4,000 residents are deep into plans for the town’s
promising future as a historic tourist site. It’s already a gateway
to the Sierra National Forest, the Sierra Vista National Scenic Byway,
and the Scenic Route to Yosemite (as well as being located in the exact
center of California), so adding a mill site to tour will only add strength
to the area’s tourism base.
A majority of the population are Mono Indians, whose museum displays beautiful
Mono Indian basketry as part of the peek into this town’s past.
as FRESNO FLATS)
Fresno Flats has the distinction of not stemming from a gold mining town.
It began quite deliberately as a community with homes, schools and churches
to provide stability for the miners, lumberjacks, cattlemen, and farmers
finding this area in the 1850s. The name Fresno Flats alludes to the Spanish
word for ash trees (Freszo).
From the get-go, Fresno Flats thrived. In 1893, it boasted a hotel, a
restaurant, a saloon, a Chinese store, a Chinese laundry, a post office,
a stage stop, a livery stable and a blacksmith. But the railroad line
to Raymond skipped Fresno Flats, and later Highway 140 also left the town
in the dust as tourists sought the fastest and most direct path to Yosemite.
When the Madera Sugar Pine Mill closed early in the Depression, the few
hundred people left seemed destined to abandon the area, making it a true
ghost town. However, Highway 41 was completed by the end of the decade
to draw visitors from the San Joaquin Valley, and it ran right through
dying Fresno Flats. After the revival, the town renamed itself Oakhurst.
Today, approximately 13,000 people call Oakhurst home – small enough
to retain that close community atmosphere and large enough to support
modern industries and retail. The Chamber’s Peddlers Fair alone
attracts 10,000 to 15,000 visitors every Memorial Day and Labor Day holidays.
Throw in a live theater, a cineplex, a children’s museum, vintage
museum, historical park, bowling, dancing, hunting, fishing, golfing,
swimming, skiing, dining, arcades, baseball games, marathons, bluegrass
festivals, concerts in the park, and car shows and this town is hopping!
came to California in 1857, first to manage the Santa Rita Ranch for cattle
baron Henry Hildreth and then for “California’s Cattle King,”
Henry Miller. The O’Neal family eventually used its wages to buy
the Gilmore-Mace Ranch in Spring Valley, California, which Charles O’Neal
turned into a town named after himself. It turned out to be a popular
theme – in 1903, Harmon Bigelow ran a phone line from his house
to his mother-in-law’s home and launched the Bigelow Telephone Company.
He also operated the Bigelow Stage Line, serving Sugar Pine, Bass Lake,
and North Fork.
Cattle ranches remain the story for the approximately 450 residents living
in O’Neals, joined by well-known ranching names like Bissett, McDougald,
Ellis, and Brown. Bigelow’s Telephone Company, however, is now called
Ponderosa Telephone Company.
Raymond was a tent
city that sprung up when floods threatened the Fresno River in the winters
Simultaneously, A.H. Washburn, owner of the Yosemite Stage and Turnpike
Company and of the Wawona Hotel in Yosemite, convinced the Southern Pacific
Railroad to build an alternate route to Wawona. One of the new railroad’s
stops was at this tent city, so officials named it after Israel Ward Raymond.
Local legend has it that traffic was so heavy through this town, the local
inn had to serve wildcat one evening when it ran out of beef. People soon
nicknamed the town Wildcat Station.
But in 2004, Raymond is known more for its granite mines and ranching
opportunities than its gourmet fare. In fact, the granite from this area
was used to help rebuild San Francisco after the 1906 earthquake and fires.