The Goleta Valley is rich in history. The Valley was home to the Chumash for thousands of years. Several expeditions led by the Spanish in the 19th Century passed through Goleta, establishing presidios and missions. The schooner emblem in the Goleta Valley Chamber of Commerce’s logo has historical resonance and is associated with these expeditions. The word “Goleta” is Spanish for a small ship or schooner.
In 1869, the villages of “La Patera,” at the present day Fairview and Hollister Avenue intersection, and “Goleta” near Patterson and Hollister Avenues, were established. A post office was built in Goleta in 1875, placing the name “Goleta” officially with the landscape.