The community we call Northridge, located in the northwest part of the San Fernando Valley, is sheltered by the majestic Santa Susana Mountains and has a history that can be traced back to the 1700s.
In the early years of recorded San Fernando Valley history, a water source at the modern day intersection of Parthenia Street and Reseda Boulevard served as the watering hole and gathering place for the Gabrielino Indians and later the Spanish who explored the area.
Fed by underground streams, this part of the valley was very fertile, leading to its development and community identification as "Zelzah," a biblical name for oasis.
Today, the name "Zelzah" is rooted in the community and throughout the valley as a major north/south street.
The early community of Zelzah was the only valley station on the Southern Pacific Railroad line, which led to burgeoning land sales, in part due to the combination of available water and the railroad. In 1938, this prosperous community was renamed Northridge.
Profile Network, Inc. &
©2002-2003 Community Profile Network, Inc.
This Site is a Cyberworks Media Group Production