Hobe Sound is located adjacent to Jupiter Island in southern Martin County. Hobe Sound was named after the Jove/Jobe Indians of the area. Hobe Sound's roots date back to the late 1600s when the Reformation, a British merchant ship, sank off the Jupiter Inlet, thereby introducing Captain Jonathan Dickinson and crew to the local Indian tribes. The Jove (Ho Bay) and Tekestas Tribes' influence can be seen in the naming of both Hobe Sound and Tequesta to the south. Parts of Hobe Sound were included in the Gomez Grant given to Don Eusebio in 1815 by Spain, which he later sold for $1 an acre to Josephine Delespine. This sale included Jupiter Island. During the land boom of the 1920s, Hobe Sound was renamed Picture City with plans for the area to become a new Hollywood. However, in 1928, after a devastating hurricane, the name was restored to Hobe Sound. Along with street names, some lampposts still remain today.