Circuit riding ministers preached from tree stumps and in the cabins of early settlers of the Cardunal area. Their occasional visits stimulated an interest in building churches, and as more settlers arrived, the interest was soon to be satisfied. The first church in the area was a simple, frame structure completed in 1841 and used by a succession of denominations.
Today, 47 churches representing all major denominations dot the landscape of the Cardunal area, demonstrating the sincerity of a population that keeps the faith of their forefathers. Congregations gather for worship and fellowship and work toward common community betterment goals.
Several of the area’s church buildings hold historical significance. For example, Carpentersville’s Congregational Church and its parsonage are listed in the National Register of Historic Places.
Community Profile Network, Inc. &
Copyright ©2000 Community Profile Network, Inc.
This Site is a Cyberworks Media Group Production