The Cardunal Area Chamber of Commerce is proud to be a leader in the development of our local community. The Chamber is comprised of large and small businesses from CARpentersville, East and West DUNdee, ALgonquian, Lake In The Hills, Gilberts, and Sleepy Hollow. Nestled along the Fox River in Northern Kane County, we are located in one of the fastest growing economies in Illinois.
Real estate development and growth continues to be strong with an active new residential housing and commercial market. Large businesses continue to invest in our community, such as McWhorter Technologies, Inc. with the $3 million dollar expansion of its research laboratory, and Marriott with its brand new hotel. Our award-winning Community Unit School District 300 benefits from the expansion of companies like Motorola, Panasonic, First Card and Holiday Inn.
Our retail shopping is centered by Spring Hill Mall, which is anchored by five major department stores, a furniture store, and over 140 specialty stores. We also have many quaint and thriving "Main Street" shops, small family businesses, and automotive dealers that attract frequent shoppers.
Our community is strengthened by over 20 churches, a tourist center, an arts council, a computer-assisted library, and a park district offering state-of-the-art recreational facilities including two golf courses. A recently passed "Open-Space" referendum is adding pristine land for future generations.
Our Villages provide excellent services to make the CARDUNAL Area an excellent place to live and raise a family. Transportation services, highways, roads, and bike trails make us easily accessible for a day of shopping or just a short visit.
Patrick J. Sharpe
Chairman of the Board
CARDUNAL Area Chamber of Commerce
"Together We Make A Difference"
The seven villages of the Cardunal area are tucked neatly into the Fox River Valley's eye-pleasing landscape. Rich an diverse in character, these villages are cozy places to live, work, and raise a family.
Diversity is a key element in the Cardunal community. West Dundee literally blooms with retailing. East Dundee focuses on its long and often dramatic history. Carpentersville, Algonquin, and Gilberts are centers of growing industrial might. And Sleepy Hollow and Lake In The Hills beckon with serene and varied residential neighborhoods.
The rich flavor of diversity is evident in the area's numerous subdivisions of new homes, in the variety of older homes, and in the many townhome, condominium, and apartment complexes.
New or old, there is a home in the Cardunal area for every budget.
The area boasts of excellent public and private schools and higher education opportunities. Abundant recreation facilities in village and township parks are designed for all ages.
Expert health care and treatment are readily available. Shopping is always conveniently near. And the church of choice welcomes all.
The spirit of community dominates in the Cardunal area, a spirit of caring and cooperation. "Paint-A-Thon" is the newest example of this spirit. Home owning senior citizens with limited incomes in Carpentersville, Dundee, Algonquin, Gilberts, and Sleepy Hollow can apply to have the exterior of their homes freshly painted by area volunteers without cost. Volunteers are recruited from area businesses, service clubs, church groups, and other organizations.
The Cardunal area is an appealing place to live, filled with the amenities that gives peace of mind in a hectic world.
When the families of Jesse Newman and Joseph Russell staked separate claims on the eastern bank of the Fox River in 1835, they unknowingly began the modern history of the Cardunal area.
Their claims were made at the site of what is now East Dundee.
However, East and West Dundee owe their existence to the Oatmans, Elder John and Nancy Oatman, who lived in Indiana before settling in Illinois. Elder John Oatman had a town laid out on the west bank of the Fox. His son-in-law, Tom Deweese, had a second town laid out on the east bank. Thus, East Dundee and West Dundee came into being. Soon afterward, Oatman built a tavern and a store. Deweese constructed a grist mill. In 1839, the first bridge was built to connect the two communities. West Dundee was incorporated in 1867 and East Dundee incorporated in 1871.
In the years since, both communities have grown and prospered. East Dundee and West Dundee have an extensive number of historic homes that bear white plaques displaying the date of construction.
Both East and West Dundee's original business centers on Rivert Street and Main Street maintain their historical charm.
Algonquin was a fording place for wagons carrying set settlers from the east in the early 1800s. As such, it was also a collecting point for farm and dairy products en route to Chicago markets.
Incorporated in 1890, Algonquin later became a popular summer vacation area for Chicago businessmen and their families. It retains much of the charm of those bygone years. In the first decade of the 20th century, Algonquin became nationally famous for its annual Hill Climbs, a race in which production automobiles of the day raced up Algonquin Hill to earn the coveted Algonquin Cup. The car that successfully met the challenge of the climb gained widespread public approval.
Two brothers, Charles and Daniel Carpenter, were the first settlers of Carpentersville, arriving in 1837. They made camp on the east side of the Fox River to wait out spring flooding, planning to continue on to the Rock River. Like other pioneer settlers before them, the brothers changed their plans as the beauty of the Fox enthralled them. They stayed to settle and develop a community called
Carpenter's Grove. The name was changed to Carpentersville in 1851.
In the 1920s, Judge Walter J. LaBuy took a fancy to the Lake In The Hills area.
He bought nearly 500 acres and built homes for himself and each of his four children. Judge LaBuy is credited with damming Woods Creek to create a small lake for which Lake In The Hills was named. The village incorporated in 1875 and has grown at a fast pace in recent years.
The seven communities of Cardunal country stretch for more than 10 miles along the banks of the Fox River, north of Interstate 90 and the city of Elgin. A network of scenic roads and highways connect East Dundee, West Dundee, Sleepy Hollow, Carpentersville, Gilberts, Algonquin, and Lake In The Hills, the villages that comprise the Cardunal area. Incidentally, the name "Cardunal" stems from the names of three of the villages - Car-pentersville, Dun-dee, and Al-gonquin.
State Routes 25 and 31 and Randall Road are the major north-south traffic arteries that link the Cardunal area with I-90, Elgin, and the villages of the Fox River Valley to the south. To the north are the cities and resort areas of northern Illinois and Wisconsin. Routes 62, 72, and 68 angle toward Chicago, connecting the Cardunal area with other northwest suburban communities.
O'Hare International Airport is usually a quick 25 minutes away via Interstate 90. Several area limousine services provide speedy and convenient transportation to and from the airport. Lake In The Hills Airport is home to many aircraft owned by the area's private flyers. The airport offers complete airplane service and charter fights. Its Northern Illinois Flight Center provides pilot training.
Swift and comfortable Metra commuter rail service to Chicago's Loop is available from the convenient Big Timber station on Elgin's northern edge, in Barrington, and in Crystal Lake, a few minutes north of the Cardunal area. Pace buses provide transportation within the area and to nearby communities. Dial A Ride service is available for the elderly and handicapped.
Several motor freight carriers serve area business and industry. Rail freight service is available in Elgin and Crystal Lake.
Cardunal's Home Page
Town Square Publications's Home Page
About our Company
Copyright © 1997 Community Profile Network, Inc.
Community Profile Network is a trademark of Community Profile Network,
Town Square Publications and Builder Profile are trademarks of Progressive Publishing, Inc.
This Site is a Town Square Publications Production