The CTA operates the nation’s second largest public transportation system and covers the City of Chicago and 40 surrounding suburbs. Nearly 1.5 million rides are taken on the CTA on a typical weekday.
Approximately 2,000 buses operate over 150 routes (2,273 route miles) and serve more than 12,000 posted bus stops. CTA’s 1,190 rapid transit cars operate over seven routes and 222 miles of track. CTA trains provide about 500,000 customer trips each day and serve 144 stations.
The CTA’s Blue Line provides transport to O’Hare International Airport (40 minutes), and the Orange Line provides transport to Midway Airport (30 minutes).
Source: Chicago Transit Authority
Rides given annually in millions
CTA — 445 — Pace — 34.1 Metra — 74.4 — Total — 553.5
SOURCE: Regional Transportation Authority, 2003
Pace is the suburban bus division of the Regional Transportation Authority, and operates throughout Chicago’s six-county suburbs.
Operating Divisions: — 11
Service Area: DuPage, Kane, Lake, McHenry, Will and Cook Counties
Communities served: — 210 Population of service area: — 5.2 million Total ridership in 2004: — 34.4 million Regular one way fare: — $1.50 Park-n-Ride facilities: — 11 Metra stations: — 122 CTA stations: — 25 Fixed bus routes: — 240 (all accessible) Average route length: — 12.5 miles Paratransit buses: — 363 Vanpools: — 490 Vanpool ridership in 2004: — 1.4 million 2003 operating budget: — $137.3 million 2003 capital budget: — $62.8 million
The 495-mile Metra system serves 230 stations in six counties (Cook, DuPage, Lake, Will, McHenry and Kane).
Metra Rail Lines
• Metra Union Pacific North Line (Chicago to Kenosha Suburban Service)
• Metra North Central Service (Chicago to Antioch Suburban Service)
• Metra Milwaukee District North Line (Chicago to Fox Lake Suburban Service)
• Metra Union Pacific Northwest Line (Chicago to Harvard/McHenry Suburban Service)
• Metra Milwaukee District West Line (Chicago to Elgin Suburban Service)
• Metra Union Pacific West Line (Chicago to Geneva Suburban Service)
• Metra Burlington Northern Santa Fe Line (Chicago to Aurora Suburban Service)
• Metra Heritage Corridor Line (Chicago to Joliet via The Heritage Corridor)
• Metra SouthWest Service Pace Route 835 (Chicago to Orland Park Suburban Service)
• Metra Rock Island District Line (Chicago to Joliet via The Rock Island District)
• Metra Electric Line (Chicago to University Park Suburban Service)
• Northern Indiana Commuter Transportation District (Chicago to South Bend Service)