Originally known as Schneider’s Crossing, North Aurora began with the arrival of two adventurous brothers who decided that their search for a habitable location was over when they reached what is now North Aurora’s portion of the Fox River. John Peter and Nicholas Schneider left their home near Frankfurt- on-the-Rhine to set off on a great exploration. They secured passage on a ship to America and reached Philadelphia, Pennsylvania in 1824, where the brothers found work as carpenters and millwrights.
In 1832, John Peter and his family traveled westward via rivers and Lake Michigan to the state of Michigan. They took up their journey again in 1833 and got as far west as what is now called Naperville, Illinois. Nicholas joined his brother shortly thereafter, and they subsequently constructed a sawmill at the mouth of the Blackberry Creek near what is now Yorkville. Nicholas remained at the sawmill while John Peter continued on into the Fox River Valley, eventually settling with his family on the east side of the Fox River on a hill near the site of the present North Aurora Village Hall. In 1837, a dam was constructed to provide water to the mill John Peter had built a short time before.
The commercial activity surrounding the mill continued to attract more people to the area. By the turn of the 19th century, approximately 300 people lived in what was then called Schneider’s Crossing. The United States Post Office located in Schneider’s Crossing was officially designated as the Post Office of North Aurora, thus ringing in the community’s formal designation as North Aurora. In 1905, North Aurora was incorporated as a Village within the jurisdiction of Kane County.
In the early 20th century, the City of Aurora became a hub of industry and railroading. Some of the railroad workers chose to live north of the city in North Aurora, which triggered the Village’s moderate but steady growth until the 1960s. The 1960s ushered in an era when the character of the whole Fox River Valley changed. The Valley transformed from a relatively local, freestanding economy where residents lived and worked into a more suburban experience in which residents commuted to job centers located east of the Valley. At first, residents had access to jobs through the commuter train system. Later, they drove to job sites that had moved out of the metropolitan core to areas surrounding the expressways. The movement of jobs continues to this day, and it continues to generate residential growth in North Aurora.
The Village has doubled its population over the past 20 years. This is primarily due to the aggressive annexing of land by the Village for residential, commercial and industrial uses. The Village’s current official population of 15,893 is based upon a special census conducted in 2007. With the upcoming 2010 U.S. Census, the Village anticipates an increase in the population number. Keeping current land availability in mind, the Village population is expected to exceed 20,000 residents by 2020. People are flocking to new subdivisions, attracted by the contemporary styles and comparatively affordable housing options while still being in commuter distance to the Greater Chicago area.