St. Landry Parish is among the fastest growing parishes in the state and excels in supporting public education. There are approximately 15,370 students being served by one of the 41 schools (28 elementary/middle schools, seven high schools, two career and technical education schools, two adult education centers and one alternative school) in the St. Landry Parish School System. In addition to the traditional schools, St. Landry Accelerated Transition School provides a positive and meaningful educational experience for students who have not had success in traditional school settings.
The St. Landry Parish School System’s goal is to provide our schools, students, teachers and parents with innovative technologies that will help prepare the students of St. Landry Parish for the future. Our mission is to educate our students through the use of technology and to identify how we can provide support to ensure their success. Our focus is on enabling academic innovation in teaching, learning and research by providing access to online resources, networked and multimedia classrooms and academic communication tools.
Schools of the Sacred Heart at Grand Coteau is comprised of two single-gendered campuses. The Academy of the Sacred Heart opened its doors to eight students in October of 1821 and has been continuously committed to excellence in the education of young women for more than 185 years. The Academy offers grades PK3-12th and is the only single-gender education choice in the area. The second campus, St. John Berchmans School, provides young men in the Acadiana region with their only choice for a Catholic, independent, single-gender education. The school opened in 2006 and began educating boys in grades PK-2nd and is committed to adding grades yearly through the 8th grade with a vision for the future that includes high school.
Acadiana Preparatory has two locations in Opelousas serving students in grades PK-12. It was established as Belmont Academy in 1972 and became Acadiana Prep in 1991. This is a co-educational, independent school committed to challenging and developing the whole person—body, mind and spirit—to the glory of God. This is achieved through active involvement and participation spiritually, academically and athletically.
Melville Private is located in the Town of Melville and was established in 1960. Their enrollment is 20 students in grades K-8th.
New Hope Christian Academy, located in Opelousas, was founded in 2002. The school is family owned.
Opelousas Catholic School (OCS) is a co-educational school for children in grades preschool through high school. Established in 1856, OCS is the oldest teaching institute in the city of Opelousas. The administration, faculty and staff are composed of lay teachers, many distinguished with master’s and master’s-plus certification. EAGLE (Educating Academically Gifted Learners through Enrichment) is available in grades 1-12. Additionally, OCS offers exceptional technology inside and outside of the classroom, advanced curriculum, ACT preparation in many high school courses, Louisiana Virtual School classes for high school students and after school care.
St. Edmunds Catholic School was founded in 1911 as St. Paul’s Institute by St. Anthony Pastor by Rev. Celestin M. Chambon. It later became named St. Edmund after Rev. Edmund Daull rebuilt the convent after a fire destroyed the old nun’s home. St. Edmund Catholic School is a coeducational, parochial school housing grades PK3-12th. St. Edmund is a ministry of St. Anthony of Padua Catholic Church Parish.
St. Ignatius Catholic School is located in Grand Coteau, with an enrollment of 350 in K3-8th grades. It was established in 1890 as Sacred Heart Parochial, a name that was changed in 1956 to St. Ignatius School in honor of St. Ignatius of Loyola, the founder of the Society of Jesus whose priests are the administrators of the church parish. St. Ignatius is also the patron saint of schools. The school was under the administration of the Religious of the Sacred Heart from 1890 to 1950, the Sisters of St. Joseph from 1950 to 1975 and again the Religious of the Sacred Heart from 1975 until 1985. Since 1985, school administration has been under the leadership of laity.
Westminister Christian Academy, Bellevue Campus is a multi-denominational Christian school founded in 1978. Current enrollment of the school is approximately 1,040 students. The 30-acre main campus serves K3-12th grades and is located south of Opelousas in the small community of Bellevue. Advanced placement courses are offered in chemistry, history and English. Honors courses include Biology II, calculus, pre-calculus, English, Latin I and II, linguistics and physics. Outstanding programs are athletics, Rangers, music, art, drama, Mission Team, Mu-Alpha Theta, National Honor Society, desktop publishing, drum line, color guard and student council.
Louisiana State University Eunice is located just southwest of Eunice near the boundaries of Evangeline and St. Landry Parishes in a rich and fertile section of Southwest Louisiana referred to as “the tri-parish area.” With an enrollment of approximately 3,000, LSUE offers a wide range of courses and programs for the student wishing to pursue a four-year degree as well as for the student wishing to prepare for a career in two years or less of study.
Since LSUE is an integral part of the surrounding community, many cooperative programs have been developed and faculty and staff members are available as speakers for area schools, clubs and organizations. The University sponsors various cultural, civic and informational programs such as visiting lecturers, artists and concert series, faculty lectures and occasional book and art exhibits. LSUE serves as the host and testing center for literary, speech and drama rallies held each spring for high school students in a nine-parish area and is also the site of an annual festival sponsored by the Tri-Parish Foreign Language Teachers’ Council.
Louisiana Technical College (LTC), T.H. Harris Campus has a current enrollment of 540. Opened in Opelousas in 1938, it is a vocational and technical college delivering courses and programs through on-campus instruction and the Internet. The LTC-T.H. Harris Campus delivers instructional programs, which provide skilled employees for business and industry that contribute to the overall economic development and workforce needs of the state. This campus provides individuals with quality and relevant learning opportunities consistent with identified student, business and industry needs within a life-long learning environment. Their goal is to serve students with excellent academic and skill development, and their programs are accessible, affordable and accredited.