The Museum is located on Main Street in Springvale in the former Town Hall. The historic building, built in 1873, is now included in the National Register of Historical Places and in 2007 won one of Main Preservation’s coveted awards for the quality of the restoration work carried out by the Historical Society.
The Sanford-Springvale Historical Society, in conjunction with the Sanford Historical Committee, collects, preserves and displays artifacts, documents, records, photographs and other materials and objects of historical interest to the town. The Society makes its collections available to the public and offers educational opportunities through museum open hours and special tours for schools and other groups. It encourages interest in history through its newsletter and public lectures and offers classical music programs to enhance the communities cultural life.