Madison churches, with their spires and steeples, lend a natural beauty to the landscape. An ever-growing number of denominations form a vital part of community life with more than 40 churches offering services in the area.
Madison is very fortunate to have so many denominations represented in the city. Traditionally, Madison is known as a city that prays for our community. Madison is founded on faith and depends upon the leadership and strength of our church families as we go forward.
For a complete list of churches in the area, call Madison City Hall at (601) 856-7116.
Three churches on Main Street are classic examples of architecture from the late 19th century and early 20th century – Pilgrim Rest Missionary Baptist Church, St. Paul African Methodist Episcopal Church, and Susan B. Montgomery Memorial Methodist Church.
One of the area’s most historic churches is the Chapel of the Cross Episcopal Church on Mannsdale Road. Built in 1848 and placed on the National Register of Historic Places in 1972, the Chapel of the Cross is an example of Gothic Revival design. The noted English architect, Frank Wills, is credited with the design of the Chapel, and Rev. John Freeman Young, residing at Annandale Plantation, supervised the construction with the help of local craftsmen. Workers from Annandale and nearby Ingleside Plantation hewed by hand the lumber from oak trees growing on the plantation to make the beams and baked the brick. The Chapel was consecrated on July 19, 1852 by Bishop William Mercer Green.