contentsSleepy Hollow Tarrytown NY Chamberads

Worship

Worship has been a part of the Sleepy Hollow-Tarrytown area since its beginnings. The first church, the famous Old Dutch Church, was built by Frederick Philipse around 1685 – just 200 yards from his estate. The church was immortalized following the publishing of Washington Irving’s short story, The Legend of Sleepy Hollow, in the early 1800s.

The Old Dutch Church is recognized among the oldest in the nation and is listed on the National Register of Historic Places. Many historic features remain in the church, including the original 1685 bell and the 17th century communion table. Philipse, his second wife, Catherine van Cortlandt, and more than a dozen family members are buried in a crypt beneath the communion table.

The Old Dutch Church of Sleepy Hollow is still an active house of worship and is today joined by many other religious institutions – one of which is Christ Episcopal Church. Christ Episcopal Church was built in 1837, it was here that Washington Irving worshipped at the end of his life. You can still come in and sit and pray in his pew or browse the many artifacts, which are kept in the church library.

previous topic
next topic
Town Square Publications