DuBois has long been known as a trading hub and a strong business community. From the time it was settled in 1812, the area’s natural geography made it a beautiful place in which to live and work. When in 1842 John DuBois of Williamsport passed through the region, he was impressed by the prospect of building a lumber mill here. John Rumbarger, a local coal miner, saw promise in the mill, and surveyed the area, laying out lots to be sold at $100 each.
Two settlements grew on either side of Sandy Lick Creek; on the east, DuBois was made up primarily of woodsmen and loggers, and on the west, Rumbarger was home to coal mining families. Industry grew and attracted new workers, soon creating a thriving competition between the two. Eventually overtaken, Rumbarger became part of the larger borough of DuBois.
Attracted by its lumber production, the railroad was built through town, linking the area to major trade centers across the nation. As the area’s forests began to deplete, the town turned to its rich coal reserves to fuel the locomotives and its economy, transforming the lumber town into a mining center.
In 1888, DuBois was devastated by a fire that consumed most of the town’s buildings and goods, but not its spirit. As soon as the ashes cooled, the new DuBois was conceived, to be built even better than before.
Over the years, DuBois saw the nation go through wars and recessions, and due to the town’s sensibility and determination, continued to thrive. To accommodate its growing population, schools and hospitals were built, newspapers and a library kept the community informed, and in 1958 the airport was built.
Today DuBois continues to be a top tourist destination, drawn by its diverse retail centers and magnificent natural areas. Residents find the schools, neighborhoods and economy ideal, and DuBois the perfect place to call home.