In 1740, the well-known evangelist George Whitefield hired the Moravians to build a school for orphans on his land, which today is known as the Whitefield House. Later Whitefield sold the land to the Moravians, who then established the Moravian community of Nazareth.
The Moravians made Nazareth into a thriving village, surrounded by farms, orchards, and plantations. Various public, religious and residential buildings were constructed, creating the highly regarded historic borough that we enjoy today.
In the mid-nineteenth century, Nazareth opened to non-Moravians, who came to work for the textile, agriculture, machine, cement and other growing industries. These new settlers brought their own traditions, faiths and cultures with them providing the distinctive town with the rich variety of ethnic heritages it celebrates today.