History in a Pecan Shell
Originally a camp for railroad workers, a townsite was laid out with the arrival of the Galveston, Harrisburg and San Antonio Railway in 1877.
It was named after Marion Dove, whose grandfather, Joshua W. Young, owned a plantation that they passed through in 1877.
German settlers moved to Marion and the town was off to a running start by the mid 1880s, with 250 people and most essential businesses, including two cotton gins, church, school and four general stores. Prior to WWII, Marion had a population of 373, rising to 835 by the late 1980s. The 1990 census was 984, growing to 1,099 for 2000.
City of Marion
P. O. Box 158
Marion, TX 78124
Phone: 830-914-2391 Fax: 830-420-4460