The founder of current-day Sachse, William Sachse, arrived in America from Herford, Prussia in 1840; eventually ending up in Texas by 1845 at the age of 25. Sachse immediately secured 640 acres of land in Collin County and later acquired an additional 5,000 acres in the area.
In 1886, Sachse donated 100 feet of right-of-way frontage to the railroad, which in turn constructed a depot and designated the town’s name as Sachse. Upon the completion of the railroad depot, signs at both ends of the facility read “Saxie,” a mistake that was later adjusted to reflect the correct spelling of the town.
By the late 1920s, business was booming in Sachse. The town continued to grow, eventually receiving incorporation as a city in 1956 and adopting its Home Rule Charter designation in 1986. Today, Sachse’s history has been preserved in the Sachse Historical Society (SHS) Museum, which features historical collections and exhibits.
For more detailed information on the history of Sachse, its historical sites and the SHS Museum, visit the Sachse Historical Society’s Web site at www.sachsehistoricalsociety.org.