Port Orchard, the county seat of Kitsap County, is located in the southern portion of Kitsap County, just west of Seattle on Sinclair Inlet, part of the Puget Sound. Port Orchard was platted in 1886 and was originally called Sidney—lumber, pottery, terra cotta and shingle mills were the first industries. In 1892, residents voted to change the name to Port Orchard after Henry Masterson Orchard, a navigator under Capt. George Vancouver.
Port Orchard has a warm, friendly, small-town atmosphere with nearby, big-town amenities. A scenic waterfront community with numerous marinas, it provides visitors and boat dwellers alike with convenient accommodations. The downtown corridor offers shopping, museums, entertainment, galleries and dining. With ferry access from Bremerton and Seattle, an excursion to Port Orchard is an easy day trip or a weekend getaway. When visiting Port Orchard, it is hard to miss the majestic view of the Olympic Mountains and the pride of military heritage just across the water at the Puget Sound Naval Shipyard.
Port Orchard extends “uptown” from the Marina/ Waterfront District with shopping, services and residences in the East Port Orchard, Bethel Corridor, Mile Hill and Sidney/Tremont areas. Port Orchard features independent locally owned stores and many well-known chain stores. Plans are also underway for a Town Center Revitalization Project downtown, with the goal of a parking garage, new library, community plaza and further park/greenway development along the downtown waterfront/marina area. The growing City of Port Orchard presently has about 8,500 residents. Visit www.cityofportorchard.org for more information.