A host of houses of worship, representing most major denominations, are located in Jefferson. These religious institutions symbolize a dedicated commitment to the spiritual growth and understanding of the community. Worship has been an important aspect of Jefferson life since its inception, which is evidenced through such historic places as St. Lawrence Catholic Church (circa 1851), St. John’s Evangelical Lutheran Church (circa 1851) and St. John’s the Baptist Catholic Church (circa 1859). These structures stand among the first churches to be built in the area and are still in use to this day. Their spires can be seen from virtually anywhere in Jefferson. A listing of places of worship can be viewed on a sign visible when entering the city.