Platteville began as Platte River Digging in 1827. Once home to the Winnebago Indians, Platteville was settled in the mid 1820s by European miners who were attracted by rich lead deposits. After the discovery of mineral lead in the area, the regions economy quickly began to flourish.
In 1827, Major John H. Rountree and Major John H. Campbell purchased Metcalfs lode and opened a general store. Two years later, this small 150-person community was named Platteville. The town was planned in a style reminiscent of Yorkshire, England - quaint and practical - with access to the towns mine entrances. In the mid 1800s, the town was further developed, and Platteville was incorporated in 1880.
Throughout the twentieth century, Platteville has grown and prospered. The community is now home to more than 10,000 residents.
Community Profile Network, Inc. &
Copyright ©2000 Community Profile Network, Inc.
This Site is a Cyberworks Media Group Production